Since our early times, movement in the form of dance and song was considered a part of healing. In recent times, movement is still an important part of life and it is also used as a healing technique in many of the traditional medicinal areas to improve a wide variety of conditions.
Movement technique or physical movement provides a large range of benefits such as ease of restricted movement, increased support and flexibility, improved posture, enhanced stability, injury healing, greater longevity, improved circulation, stress relief, and pain relief, as well as many other benefits.
Nowadays, physical therapists are the main source of muscle movement therapy. Physical therapists also help increase awareness regarding movement and spread the word of its benefits. First, physical therapists will perform full physical examinations and evaluate their patients. They come to a clinical diagnosis and prognosis and then create a plan for achieving the patient’s short and long term goals. Physical therapists provide a customized plan according to the patient’s condition, and implement it to provide maximum benefits.
Types of Physical Therapy:
There are different types of movement therapy and physical therapy that can be used by the physical therapist for the appropriate condition.
- Orthopedic physical therapy: This therapy will help you treat musculoskeletal injury that may involve fractured bones or ruptured muscles, tendons, ligaments, and fascia.
- Pediatric physical therapy: This aims to manage and treat developmental delays in infants, children, and adolescents that may have impacted musculoskeletal development.
- Neurological physical therapy: This therapy is mainly used in people who are suffering from neurological conditions that have impacted their movement, causing paralysis and restriction in movement. In some situations, this therapy can help reverse paralysis.
- Cardiovascular and pulmonary therapy: This therapy is mainly done on patients who have undergone surgery for heart or lungs, and is mainly used to enhance endurance and stamina.
- Wound care therapy: This therapy helps enhance the circulation of oxygen at the injured area, making sure the area gets completely oxygenated.
- Vestibular therapy: This helps to maintain the balance and coordination which is disrupted due to any ear problem.
- Pelvic floor rehabilitation: This therapy is used to treat conditions pelvic or urinary conditions.
- Decongestive therapy: Fluid retention can occur in certain parts of the body and cause health problems. Decongestive therapy helps to drain all the fluid from those areas.
There are numerous benefits of movement, whether it is related to a medical, mental, or even emotional condition. Movement and physical therapy relieve certain stresses from your body, which helps you recover and live the best life possible.