The 5 aspects of holistic health and their benefits
Holistic health is about caring for the whole person. A professional will assess your physical, mental, spiritual as well as social needs. By understanding these 5 main tools, you can see how these aspects affect your overall health.
Today, we are going to take a look at the 5 aspects of the holistic care tool kit and how they benefit our lives.
When you think of physical health, you think of overall health. This is because our body shows us physical signs when something is wrong. You have a fever because there is an infection in your body, you bleed when your skin is open and so on. The physical signs are easy to track and measure. Looking after your physical well-being is important because it can make a difference to your overall health.
Here are a few ways you can keep your body physically healthy:
- Sleep for 8 hours a day. This will allow your boy to rest and repair any damages that it might have
- Eat a balanced diet. A balanced diet will help ensure that your body is getting enough vitamins and nutrients to stay strong and healthy
- Exercise. You need to move your body for 30 minutes a day at least
Our emotional health is often overlooked. People assume that their emotions are not always important and they feel like their emotions do not affect their health. This is not true. Your emotions do affect your health. Stress is an emotion that you feel. When you are stressed, you increase the cortisone in your body and decrease your immune response. This can lead to you getting sick.
You can support your emotional health by:
- Go to therapy if you need help dealing with your emotions healthily and holistically
- Learn to deal with your stress. Journal, meditate, do some art or find a hobby that allows you to switch off from the world for a few moments
Research has shown that the happiest people are the ones who have deep connections with their friends, family and community. People who have a healthy social life, tend to be more satisfied with their lives. Life is meant to be shared and enjoyed with those around us.
You can get the benefits of living a healthy, holistic social life by:
- Make time to connect with your loved ones. If you cannot physically see them, call and catch up for a few minutes every week
- Make an effort to spend quality time with your friends. You cannot work all the time. You need to make time to be present with your friends and family
- Get involved in a charity. There is nothing more satisfying for your soul than to help someone in need. Get involved in a local charity, help the community and you will start to feel more satisfied and content with your life
This is a bit of a hard aspect for you to get in touch with. It is an amazing tool to have at your disposal to help you holistically see life. Spiritually does not mean that you have to become religious. Your spiritual health should focus more on how you connect with your inner soul. Get a better understanding that there is a greater world around you and a higher being that has a bigger picture and plan for us.
You do not need to go to a place of prayer to achieve spiritual awakening. You can simply:
- Spend time in nature
- Meditate for a few minutes
- If you want, you can take time out every day to practice your faith
- Spend a few minutes in the morning saying thank you for what you have been given in your life. Even something small like a great cup of coffee
Our final tool is our mental health. There is a difference between emotional and mental. Emotional refers to our daily mood and emotions that we feel on the spot. Mental refers to our cognitive abilities which affect how our brain functions.
You can help stimulate your mental holistic tool by:
- Keeping your mind active. Learn new things, do puzzles and problem solve
- Consume foods that are high in antioxidants as well as omega-3s. This will help reduce inflammation and support cognitive function
- Avoid excessive drinking, smoking and consuming recreational drugs
- The brain is directly connected to the gut. If you keep your gut healthy, you can help keep your brain healthy. Consume prebiotic and probiotic-rich foods
Why is keeping your 5 aspects of holistic health healthy so beneficial?
Your body is designed to function like a well-oiled machine. If you have a rusty part, it will affect the other parts of the machine. This will make the machine not run smoothly.
By taking care of all 5 aspects of holistic health, your body will function at its optimal. You will feel mentally, emotionally, physically and spiritually ready to take on whatever life has to throw at you. You can do this with a clear mind, a healthy body and a belief that it will all be okay.
Looking after your 5 aspects of holistic health, you can connect your mind, body and spirit. The goal is to achieve maximum well-being and ensure that everything is functioning at its optimal. Holistic health will help you find the cause of your problems, give you natural tools to deal with them and the ability to look after your body without having to rely on synthetic materials.
Holistic health is a lifestyle choice that allows you to take responsibility for your level of well-being, your daily choices and take charge of your health. This does not mean that conventional medicine is not needed from time to time. You will be able to be more connected to your body and know that something is off.